Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Happy Anniversary Honey!

Well, today marks 11 years of marriage to my "honey sweetie", Tom. 
As you can tell, there is a large age difference between the two of us.


So, even before kids, we've been the ultimate "odd couple" amongst our group of friends. In the early phase of our adoption journey, we were required to take an online class on being a conspicuous family. For us, this is just normal. I've been told that once people get to know us, they almost forget about Tom's age because he is the fun, silly, childish one and I am the old fuddy-duddy, responsible one. But, it works.  

Now that we have a 7 year old bio son and two adopted sons from China, well...
let's just say not much has changed in that regard. :-)

Folks are often so amazed that Tom, at 68 years of age, would want to adopt, but it was really never something that we spent a great deal of time on. Really. 

I think the Lord had been preparing Tom for this for a long time. In fact, the first person to mention adoption in this house was Tom. Then, many months later, it was Tommy, our then 6 year old. He casually announced in the car one day that Tom and I should "adopt a brother for him". But, again, I brushed it off with the excuse of all excuses.- No money. (Seemed rational and responsible to me at the time!) 

Then, it happened. One beautiful April day before Easter. Attending an Easter egg hunt with our local homeschool group, I struck up a conversation with my now great friend, Kim. She was sharing about her plans to travel to China to adopt their third daughter.  I shared with her about the comment that Tommy had made and mentioned what a crazy idea that was. I mean, after all, my husband was 68!

She told me that she advocated for waiting children in China and that if I ever wanted to learn more about adoption or Chinese children who were waiting to let her know. 

(Yes, then came the ever so polite response--"I'll let you know, thanks.")

Of course, in my mind I knew I was only being polite. I "knew" that was not in the cards for us.

Except...
God had other plans.
For the next 7 days, and I am not overstating this, EVERYTHING pointed us to adoption. Every new family we met that week- adopted. Every TV show we watched had something to do with adoption. (Come on, seriously, Law and Order? Adoption?)

Finally, Tom says to me, "What's up with all these adoption related stories?"  I admit that I, too, had noticed and that it had been on my mind since the egg hunt.  He suggested that maybe I could email that "Kim woman" and just learn a little bit.

Well folks, the rest as they say...
is HISTORY!

Now in the interest of being transparent, no, we hadn't originally planned the second adoption any more than the first one was especially planned, and definitely not so SOON. But, we could not be happier with our beautiful boys. Each one of them fills us with joy! 

As our anniversary approached, it was hard not to think about our 10th anniversary. Just one year ago, we celebrated with a long awaited cruise. 

Our first. And...more than likely our last. :-)
 It was amazing!



Back then, a mere 12 months ago, we had
 NO IDEA
 that the Lord was about to fill our home and our hearts with so much fun and craziness!

Adoption was nowhere near our radar. 

I can honestly say that our lives have never changed so dramatically in any other single year.

So, how did we celebrate this occasion?
Chinese Buffet of course!

We enjoyed watching our three boys 
eat and eat and eat....

My gift to them? I did not take out the camera ONCE.  

Suffice it to say that there was not a clean face or pair of hands amongst them and they each polished off at least three plates (and by plates, I mean MOUNTAINS) of food.  

We are that family. The one that will NEVER overpay at a buffet. 

With three healthy male eaters (even the little one), we will always get our money's worth here!

It was a wonderful day. Looking forward to our 12th year together.

6 comments:

Jenni Hester said...

Love it!! Happy anniversary!! Now I will know where to go if Luke doesn't like my cooking :)

Rylands family said...

Jenni, I have to say, all of my boys love this place. They also love talking to the wait staff. Colin was telling Cameron, who went for the first time tonight, that it was "Very, very good!"

kimjax said...

Beautiful pics, Angie! See you for Skype coffees soon...Love you guys!

dajmommy said...

Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful, life-changing year it has been for you all. Those unexpected blessings are the best ones of all...when we have our task list accomplished and yet He has more. What a joy to get to know your family!

Vicky said...

Happy Anniversary!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary Angie!! I love how God works...those adoption "signs" He puts in our paths like you talked about. I remember all of mine. Love it!!